This Alabama's 1901 Constitution: What Was at Stake? lesson plan also includes:
Who should be able to vote? As part of a study of the 1901 Alabama Constitution, class members examine primary source document that reveal the reasons the authors gave to support their positions on this question and their assumptions in regard to race, social class, and economics.
- Modify the lesson and ask class members to compare their state's constitution with the US Constitution
- Designed for AP US history classes
- A similar lesson designed for non-AP level classes is attached below
- The nine-page document includes background information for instructors, links to primary source documents and related materials, a detailed plan, and a discussion rubric
- The lesson presumes a protocol is in place for the safe and respectful discussion of controversial issues and language