How are gender equality and language connected? A video summary of Joan Wallach Scott's Gender and the Politics of History addresses this question as part of a larger playlist that discusses ideas of the world. The summary gives an example of how language affects social class and compares it to the gender inequality that has existed throughout history.
- Discuss some uses of gendered language and the assumptions they contain
- Make a list of ways gender inequality appears in society today and hypothesize the causes of that inequality
- Requires a general understanding of gender inequality and social class warfare
- Uses images to help enhance the concepts students discuss
- Contains clear narration that moves at a slow pace, allowing viewers to catch key details
- Pop-up boxes occasionally appear on video and distract from the content