Does the structure of capitalism eliminate inequality or reinforce it? That is the essential question of Thomas Piketty's Capital in the 21st Century. Introduce young economists to Piketty's "Central Contradiction of Capitalism" with a short that uses animation to explain basic tenets of his theory.
- Use the video to launch a study of Piketty's theories
- Have groups analyze the current governmental economic policies in light of Piketty's theories
- To avoid the comment section, which is open to the public and full of opinions, show the video in full-screen mode
- Video is a sample of a full analysis available via the publisher's website, which requires a membership
- The summary is succinct and the animation illustrates how the theory applies to those with inherited wealth