This Apples Around Us lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Apple tasting launches an investigation of the story and travels of John Chapman, also known as Johnny Appleseed. After listening to his story, class members craft a summary of the tale, chart his journeys on a map, and sample different types of this amazing fruit.
- Have kids research and illustrate different types of apples
- Before engaging in the lesson, check with parents and/or the school nurse for class members with allergies
- Caution kids not to shout out the name of the item if they believe they know what is in the bag
- Provide an alternative (describing the texture of the different types of apples, for example) for those kids who can or will not sample the apples
- The detailed lesson combines language arts, history, and science activities