Get your heart pumping! A linear equation can compute the target heart rate of an individual based on their age. A thorough lesson demonstrates how to use an equation to calculate the age of an individual given a target heart rate. The application question provides the equation and demonstrates each step of the calculation.
- Have pupils calculate their own target heart rates; compare them to their heart rate after 20 jumping jacks
- Ask learners to follow the same structure with each of their application problems
- Expects experience with substitution and solving an equation
- Reinforces checking a solution and writing a complete sentence as an answer
- Connects linear equations to a real-life application