This Apportionment: Grades 7-8 activity & project also includes:
One person, one voice ... right? Using a simulation where uneven groups are given the same voice, scholars discover why fair apportionment based on an accurate census is important. Once finished, they use actual data to consider what impact growth or contraction may have on their own states' representation.
- Use the simulation to describe how apportionment works
- Have learners pair up to compare the growth or shrinkage of state populations
- Resource is part of a series developed for the 2020 Census
- Resource includes opportunity for interdisciplinary instruction
- Video describing apportionment is adaptable to other lessons