The episode from the "Art/Architecture" playlist examines the paintings of the famous Nineteenth Century German romantic landscape artist. The narrator focuses on Friedrich's belief that art can teach us about the importance of suffering in the human condition.
- Flip the lesson asking class members to view the video and prepare comments and questions before returning a a full class discussion
- Ask individuals and/or groups to identify the aspects of one of Friedrich's paintings that the narrator mentions in the video
- The resource presumes viewers have experience analyzing works of art
- Best suited to advanced painting and art history classes
- Includes images of many of Friedrich's paintings
- Often viewers are left to identify the elements in a painting to which the narrator refers