This Balancing Equations Using Matrices lesson plan also includes:
Matrices help solve systems of equations in chemistry, computer graphics, circuitry, probability, and more. The second lesson in a seven-part series focuses on using matrices to balance chemical equations. Pupils rely on the Law of Conservation of Mass to determine the correct coefficients.
- Team teach with the Algebra II teacher and chemistry teacher
- Relies on prior knowledge of solving systems of equations using a matrix
- Plan to provide graphing calculators and instructions for solving matrices on them for pupils that don't bring a calculator to class
- Connects math and science topics
- Teaches a method to balance chemical equations not taught in most science classes