Take an in-depth look at a passage from Kate DiCamillo's Because of Winn-Dixie. Included here is the reading passage as well as a step-by-step procedure for reading the text, a set of text-dependent questions, and a final writing assignment designed to wrap up the reading and discussion of the passage.
- Since this focuses on a single passage from Because of Winn-Dixie, you could easily add it into your unit on the novel
- You may prefer to ignore the last two pages, which appear to be a teacher's notes on text-dependent questions and include some typos
- Learners will likely need additional scaffolding for the writing assignment
- Comes with both a reading passage for students and a copy of the passage for teachers that includes text-based questions and the answers (as well as additional commentary)
- Vocabulary support is provided
- There are some typos in the last two pages