This Before We Travel, We Research activity & project also includes:
Context is key when it comes to historical research. Prior to field research, class members learn as much as they can about the site they are going to visit. Groups investigate and prepare presentations about the history of the site, the people associated with the site, the time period, and how the the site gained recognition. Armed with these clues, the class takes to field to gather the facts.
- Invite a historian to speak with the class about local sites of significance and have the class vote on the site to research
- Gain permission from school administrators, other teachers, and parents before launching the project
- Make arrangements for transportation and supervision
- The project is valuable even if it is not possible to arrange the field trip
- The project models the process followed by history researchers
- Rubrics for the presentation are not included