This Bend That Bar activity & project also includes:
Bend it, but don't break it. Groups investigate the strength of different materials. Using a procedure in the seventh segment of a 22-part series on aviation, pupils determine how far a rod will bend. They determine the strength-to-mass ratio of each material.
- Use in conjunction with the weight force lesson
- Have the class determine the density of each rod and find the strength versus density
- Requires several rods of different materials
- Provides descriptions of possible extensions
- Includes things to be aware of when setting up the activity
- Confuses weight and mass in the table