This Biological Oceanographic Investigations – Signals from the Deep lesson plan also includes:
The Deepwater Horizon oil spill directly impacted an area of the Gulf of Mexico the size of Oklahoma. A marine biology lesson looks at the impact of an oil spill on the deeper parts of the ocean. Scholars download actual data collected around the spill and use a spreadsheet and graphs to analyse the results.
- Find more recent CTD studies completed in the same area
- Requires Internet access and computers for each group
- Offers instructions for Excel 2008; if using a different spreadsheet program, you can adapt the instructions
- Lesson is the last in a series of 16
- Includes a large number of related lessons, videos, and resources
- Provides outlines of the general ideas that students should cover in their papers