This Bowling Alley interactive also includes:
Sometimes it appears that a bowling ball slides down the alley rather than rolling, while other times it appears to switch rolling directions at some point. Scholars control the bowling ball size, initial rotation, initial speed, and kinetic friction in order to observe and understand this phenomenon.
- Take a field trip to a bowling alley, or set up one of the smaller bowling sets to observe the ball movement
- Requires a free CK-12 account to access the interactive
- Assumes prior knowledge of velocity
- Graphs the transitional velocity and the edge of ball velocity for each trial
- Includes in-simulation challenge questions