This Britannia Rule the Waves lesson plan also includes:
Could you determine longitude based on measuring time? Early explorers used a longitude clock to do just that. Scholars learn about early exploration and the importance of the invention of the clock. Then pupils build their own longitude clocks and practice determining longitude while tracking a journey based on the data given.
- Lesson best fits in a unit on explorers, geography, history, or literature
- Requires prior knowledge of defining a positing with longitude and latitude
- Follow all safety guidelines with the use of knives
- Relies on either Windows or Linux machines with Java 7 or higher and a graphic board of at least OpenGL 3.3
- Connects many subjects including history, geography, science, math, and more
- Uses common, inexpensive materials