This Build a Bridge lesson plan also includes:
Cost overruns are unacceptable—in the real world and in an engaging activity. Groups of pupils get together to build a bridge out of straws, paper cups, and tape. They keep track of costs ($1,000 for each material) and must stay within a budget of $20,000.
- Have a contest to see which group can build a bridge and come in the most under budget
- Activity requires a variety of materials
- Learners must be able to calculate costs
- Provides diagrams of various types of bridge trusses
- Describes some engineering and science connections