This Building Self-Esteem and Self-Image lesson plan also includes:
The ninth lesson in the Health Smart series is designed to get high schoolers to understand the factors that make them feel the way they do about themselves, their bodies, and their self-worth. Pupils watch a video about teens and body image, engage in discussions, and use a rubric to analyze and assess images on social media. They list positive qualities they possess and complete a help sheet, identifying attitudes they need to change. To complete the lesson, individuals draft a personal mission statement about what's really important to them.
- Invite a member of the counseling staff to participate in the lesson
- Ask the counselor to observe and take note of class members who appear to be anxious
- The "Your Body Biography" activity does not account for class members who are adopted or living in foster situations
- Requires copies of multiple worksheets
- The plan is richly detailed and carefully scaffolded