This Cache: Lesson Plan 2 - Grades 4-6 lesson plan also includes:
Class members will dig this activity that has them trying their hand at recovering artifacts. Groups are assigned a section of a sandbox, carefully uncover the artifacts in their section, and then develop theories about who might have used these objects and what the objects reveal about how these people might have lived.
- Use as part of a study of the Channel Islands, early California history, archaelogy, and/or a reading of Scott O'Dell's Island of the Blue Dolphins
- Select one of the many videos available on YouTube to demonstrate the process archaeologists use to extract artifacts
- The activity assumes class members have watched the West of the West's documentary Cache and are aware of the story of Juana Maria
- Requires access to a large sandbox, and archaeology tools like brushes, picks, and sieves or sifters
- The three-page packet includes a materials list, step by-step directions for the activity, images, and extensions