This Calculating Iridium Fallout from an Asteroid Impact activity & project also includes:
Should we be afraid of a large asteroid impact on Earth today? Young scientists estimate the size and composition of an asteroid similar to the one that caused the K-T mass extinction. They apply algebraic formulas to answer questions before having a discussion about the assumptions and conclusions the data help them reach.
- Pre-teach parts per notation before working through the rest of the lesson
- Relies on prior knowledge of algebra, solving for volume and surface area of spheres, scientific notation, metric units, and density
- Lesson works as an extension to the short film The Day the Mesozoic Died, but stands alone if needed
- Provides two versions, one with guided calculations and the other without
- Designed to connect math and science concepts