Start a 10-Day Free Trial to Unlock the Full Review
Why Lesson Planet?
Find quality lesson planning resources, fast!
Share & remix collections to collaborate.
Organize your curriculum with collections. Easy!
Have time to be more creative & energetic with your students!
Engage young scientists in the upper-elementary and middle school grades with this collection of simple experiments. Whether you're teaching about heat transfer, density, or potential energy this resource has a lab for you.
97 Views 67 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable NGSS: Adaptable
- Use these labs to supplement science lessons on temperature measurement, properties of matter, and potential and kinetic energy
- Implement the calibrating thermometers lab at the beginning of the year or semester, familiarizing students with lab materials and procedures
- During the potential energy experiment assign each group a different height for their ramp, compiling and comparing the results as a whole class
- In the density experiment, provide each group with a different object to measure, afterward having the class compare the densities of each material
- The thermometer calibration lab requires the use of a Bunsen burner or other source of heat, which may or may not be available in your class
- Each lab poses a specific question that students must try to answer with their experiment
- Guiding questions are included for helping students with developing their experimental procedures
- Provides equations for converting between Fahrenheit and Celsius, and calculating density and potential energy
- Graphics & Images
- Lab & Experiment