Connect reading comprehension strategies with the traditions of Hanukkah with an informative lesson plan. As learners read about the history of Hanukkah, the significance of the menorah, and the ways Hanukkah is celebrated today, they apply their knowledge to several stories and reading activities.
- Lesson is designed for fourth and fifth graders, but could be applicable for younger and older grades as well
- The lesson plan format is not ideal (orange background, handouts included in the text), but you can recreate the documents as necessary in a format that is easier to use
- Resource calls for five class periods or one full day; adapt the schedule as needed for your curriculum
- Requires a few books about Hanukkah, but if you don't have access to them, they can be replaced with other relevant books
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Provides an anticipation guide that can prompt discussion before the lesson