This Chemosynthesis and Hydrothermal Vent Life interactive also includes:
What's life like in a hydrothermal vent? Find out in part five of a 13-part series. Learners journey to one of the harshest environments on the planet, the hydrothermal vent, to learn about the creatures that survive the extreme temperatures and toxic chemicals present. The interactive includes food web building, comparing photosynthesis and chemosynthesis, and a closer look at how astrobiologists use chemosynthetic organisms as models for extraterrestrial life.
- Distribute a paper version of the food web and have pupils examine the relationships between the organisms once they've placed them correctly
- Spend some extra time exploring the locations on the Evolutionary map as a class to learn more about these unique places
- Review archaebacteria and their differences from eubacteria prior to launching the interactive
- The interactive combines skills practice with interesting facts and amazing undersea images
- Teachers can print related materials for use as a homework assignment or other form of assessment