This Choosing Samples activities & project also includes:
What makes a good sample? Your classes collaborate to answer this question through a task involving areas of rectangles. Given a set of 100 rectangles, they sample a set of five rectangles to estimate the average area of the figures. The task allows groups to problem solve and develop their own strategies.
- Choose collaborative groups; allow them to work as a group to complete the task making observations about their discussions
- Have groups present their methods of completing the task
- Requires a proficiency with finding area of rectangles and calculating a mean
- Promotes communication within collaborative groups
- Combines several concepts within a single task