Can you choose your family after all? The greasers in S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders are as close as family, even though only Pony Boy and his brothers are related. A short video features commentary by hip-hop artist Danny Boy O'Connor and S.E Hinton herself about how important it is to feel accepted into a group.
- Play the video to introduce a novel unit on The Outsiders
- Encourage readers to write an argument essay about whether friends can be as close as family
- Requires access to the Internet
- Discussing voting for The Great American Read project, which has since closed
- Short length makes the video versatile for class or independent viewing
- Theme of the video (and novel) is resonant with teenage reader