This Circles in the Coordinate Plane lesson plan also includes:
Make the connection between the distance formula and the equation of a circle. The teacher presents a lesson on how to use the distance formula to derive the equation of the circle. Pupils transform circles on the coordinate plane and find the equation for each circle. Using equations, classmates compare the graphs of the circles to gain a better understanding of the equations of circles.
- During the instruction, provide a formal proof of the derivation of the equation for a circle
- Give opportunities for scholars to determine the center and radius given the equation of the circle
- The class should be familiar with the distance formula and the Pythagorean Theorem
- Provides writing prompt suggestions
- Includes guided instructions to the instructor on what to present during the lesson