This Circular Pave-Stones Backyard lesson plan also includes:
Pack the lesson into your plans. Young mathematicians learn about packing and optimization with the context of circular paving stones. They use coins to model the paving stones, and then apply knowledge of circles and polygons to maximize the area covered by the stones.
- Have learners bring in coins to experiment with packing
- Pupils must be able to calculate area
- Knowledge of percentages is necessary
- Provides a set of handouts for the activities
- Includes a suggested timeline to conduct the lesson