Animal, vegetable, or mineral? The second installment of a five-part video series focuses on the classification of life. The video briefly covers the taxonomic levels and then applies the classification to humans. The video also covers how people derive scientific names for living things from this classification.
- Have pupils create their own taxonomic classifications, such as for books, clothing, etc.
- Instruct learners to research the taxonomic classifications of their favorite animals or plants
- Introduce the term taxonomy, as it is not covered in the video
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Uses a simple example of music to introduce classification
- Introduces a mnemonic device to help remember the taxonomic levels
- Graphics are very basic and not likely to capture student interest