This Clotilde, The Last Slave Ship lesson plan also includes:
The Clotilde was the last known ship to bring slaves from Africa to the United States - good riddance! Dive into the details of the ship, its cargo, origin, and route, and learn about the future of the Africans on board with a presentation accompanied by guiding questions. Wrap up with a choice of assessments (poem or essay) based on the grade level of historians.
- The assessment option (write a poem) for younger historians may prove challenging; replace with a journal assignment where participants write from the perspective of either a slave or sailor on the Clotilde on its way to the United States
- Have the class explore the background links provided on page one
- Designer suggests resource is compatible for elementary or high school historians, but those on the younger side may need help with the economics issues at hand
- Gives an interesting look at the illegality of importing slaves at the time, an often overlooked issue
- Great extension idea of having historians research the settlement of Africatown