This Coma Cluster of Galaxies lesson plan also includes:
Scientists classify everything from the smallest cells to the largest galaxies, but how do they decide on a classification system? Scholars use 40 pictures of galaxies taken by the Hubble Space Telescope to sort and try creating their own classification system. They learn the scientific system, the evolution of galaxies in dense clustered environments, and about the morphology-density effect.
- Print and laminate the galaxy cards so they last longer
- Extend the lesson by also studying the Leo Cluster of galaxies
- Requires prior knowledge of scientific classification
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Offers an extension idea for citizen scientists
- Includes possible answers for many of the questions