Finding a unit rate is imperative to the smart shopper! A video lesson introduces learners to a comparison of ratios. Initially, the instructor manipulates the ratios to have a common denominator for better comparison. He then explains the concept of a unit rate using an example to help make the concept clear.
- Follow with contextual ratio independent practice
- Bring props, such as M&M's and peanuts, to visually represent the ratios
- Requires a strong background with fractions
- Emphasizes both the conceptual and numeric comparisons
- Fast forwards through slower parts to speed up the lesson while still showing the process