This Comparing Potential Energy of a Bond interactive also includes:
Have you reached your breaking point in looking for great resources that illustrate bond energy? Demonstrate the potential energy changes that occur when polar and non-polar bonds are broken with a stimulating simulation. Pupils pull on paired molecules until they separate and observe how it affects the potential energy of the system.
- Use the resource to help students develop a model that shows the relationship between the energy in a chemical system and bond energy
- Be sure to have learners observe how the molecules and atoms behave after they are separated from their partners
- Review polar and non-polar bonds before beginning the interactive
- The act of dragging the molecules or atoms apart (sometimes having to pull very hard) also helps illustrate the amount of energy involved in breaking bonds
- Resource is well-designed and engaging