Don't be a square — learn to complete one! The instructor uses the general vertex form of the quadratic function to solve for the constants a, h, and k. Then, pupils can write the function in vertex form. The lesson follows a video on the quadratic formula in this series of 29.
- Compare this method of completing the square to other strategies
- Make a connection to the graph of the function by asking for the minimum or maximum after completing the square
- Pupils should be familiar with the vertex form equation prior to the lesson
- Requires Internet access to show the YouTube video in class
- Appropriate rigor for this academic level
- Uses an abstract approach to completing the square; using more concrete methods allows pupils to make stronger connections