Have you ever considered running for student council? Scholars investigate the process of being elected to the United States Congress. They use the sixth video in a 50-part series exploring the US government and politics to better understand how congressional elections are decided as well as their complexity.
- Hold a mock election in the classroom with two candidates, debates, and a secret ballot
- Invite a local politician as a guest speaker to address the concept of running for office
- Make sure students have online access if assigning the video clip as homework
- Lesson includes animation to assist with visual learning
- Uses direct quotes from primary sources to enhance understanding