Unfamiliar words can make it difficult to understand what a piece of writing is trying to say. Practice using context clues to define words you don't know with a language arts learning exercise, which features five sentences and enough space to write both the definition of the word and the necessary context clues.
- Use as a warm-up activity or as part of a homework packet
- Include in a language arts assessment
- Have kids work in small groups to finish each question
- See if your class can come up with their own sentences that require context clues in order to define unfamiliar words (possibly with words from your own vocabulary list)
- Clear and easy to understand
- A good stand-alone assignment or part of a reading comprehension unit