As part of a study of saving choices and opportunity costs, class members listen to a reading of Lois Lenski's Cotton in My Sack, and then evaluate the spending choices made by the Hutley family.
135 Views 113 Downloads CCSS: Designed
- If possible, bring in a cotton plant for kids to examine
- Download images of cotton fields, processing equipment, etc.
- Project images of the illustrations in the book
- The lesson is based on Lois Lenski's book, Cotton in My Sack, which is out of print but can be found in some libraries; used copies are available online
- The detailed plan includes activities, worksheets, discussion questions, and answer keys
- Lenski's story of the life of sharecroppers and the choices they have to make is sure to engage learners