Sharing just makes you feel good ... especially if you're a non-metal! Young chemists examine bonding basics with a video from JFR Science. Topics include how covalent bonding differs from ionic bonding, how covalent bonding works, and using Lewis electron dot structures to illustrate bonds.
- Demonstrate the differences between covalent molecules and ionic compounds by dissolving salt and sugar in water, then have pupils discuss their observations
- Ask the class to compare the content of the video to the Ionic Bonds video in the same series and make a graphic organizer
- Quickly discuss where metal and non-metal elements are placed on the periodic table prior to viewing
- Contains illustrations to help convey the essential parts of covalent bonding
- Incorporates interesting examples to keep engagement up