This Cross Totals assessment also includes:
Finally, it all adds up. Learners complete a number puzzle in which they investigate the sums of the digits one through nine in a cross pattern. They then try to determine what totals are possible and which ones are not before devising a proof showing they have them all.
- Have pupils discuss why an even number does not work in the center
- Get individuals to share their strategies
- Some learners may get frustrated by going through all the possibilities to determine the totals
- Task is one step in the process to achieve the CCSS Math Practices
- The activity is open and allows for multiple access points