A gamma-ray burst might have caused the mass extinction 450 million years ago. The video introduces the concept of gamma rays and gamma-ray bursts. Then it explains what happens if they were to hit Earth and why we can't prepare for any that might hit us at any moment.
- Learn more about the Ordovician extinction event
- The video states that scientists observe one gamma-ray burst per day; research to discover whether that number has increased with better science
- Assumes prior knowledge of the electromagnetic spectrum
- Contains hidden TARDIS for Dr. Who fans
- Cartoon graphics enhance the concepts