This Decoding the Dystopian Characteristics of Macintosh’s “1984” Commercial lesson plan also includes:
Known as one of the most iconic advertisements of the 20th century, Macintosh's "1984" commercial has become more of a social statement. Present the ad to a new audience of viewers with a lesson focused on identifying dystopian characteristics, and comparing the video to other works set in a dystopian world.
- Show before your novel unit on George Orwell's 1984 or Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451
- Encourage learners to use their observations from the commercial in comparison to another book or movie with a dystopian setting
- Use in a computer science or technology class to prompt discussion about the commercial's message toward technology in the 1980's
- Provides a list of works of literature you could use with the ad, ranging in reading level
- Includes links to background information, lists of symbols to discuss, and comprehension questions
- A great example of non-print text for an informational reading unit