This Deducting Relationships: Floodlight Shadows lesson plan also includes:
Try to figure out what happens with shadows as a person moves between two light sources. A formative assessment lesson has individuals work on an assessment task based on similar triangles, then groups them based on their assessment answers. Groups then work collaboratively to dissect sample responses to determine the weaknesses and strengths of the solution methods.
- Prior to using the assessment lesson, teach a few lessons on similar triangles and finding unknown measurements using similar triangles
- Allow individuals to attach the initial assessment after working with their collaborative groups and see the sample approaches
- The assessment task should be administered a few days before the lesson, allowing for time to evaluate each and include comments
- The resource includes suggestions for comments to place on papers based upon errors
- Provides slides to project to help facilitate the class discussion