This Deep-Sea Ecosystems – A Tale of Deep Corals lesson plan also includes:
Many have debated which came first, the chicken or the egg, but this instructional activity debates which came first, the hydrocarbons or the carbonate reef. After a discussion on deep-sea corals, scholars receive a set of questions to research and answer in order to expand their knowledge and draw their own conclusions.
- Review correlation versus causation before scholars begin their research
- If pupils are not already familiar with the concept of an abstract from a research paper, explain the importance of a document like this
- Lesson is the sixth in a series of 16+
- Requires prior knowledge of hydrocarbon seeps
- Includes information on many related lesson plans and resources for further exploration of the topic
- Provides the abstract of two research papers to assist in completing the assignment