This Derivative – Standard Definition lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Making a clear connection to algebra concepts helps learners understand the definition of a derivative. The lesson plan begins with looking at limits of simple linear and rational functions, and leads to the definition of the derivative. Calculating the derivative of a function using two different methods provides a simplification of the definition of the derivative.
- Have pupils work the independent problems on individual white boards
- Prompt class members create graphic organizers that contains the definition and worked examples
- Include the problems on a separate sheet without the answers
- The lesson contains an example of a problem that is similar to those on the AP exam
- The examples and the answers clearly show each step in solving the problems