This Design of a Door Alarm lesson plan also includes:
How does electricity work? Budding scientists explore the concepts of electrical currents and open and closed circuits with class discussion and a hands-on activity using a battery to turn on a light bulb. Learners also make predictions about circuits and create the hookups to see how they work. Then, they participate in the STEM engineering design process to use simple circuits to design a door alarm for their classroom.
- Use criteria and constraints to teach the engineering design process
- Extend learning by having scholars design other simple circuits with real-life applications
- Requires materials typical classrooms may not contain
- Follow safety guidelines
- Contains good background information to teach about electric circuits
- Incorporates engineering design practices