This Design Step 5: Construct a Prototype lesson plan also includes:
Enough with the talking, let's build something! In the fifth step in the engineering design process, young engineers build a prototype to test their ideas. The instructional activity walks them through the process of evaluating it step-by-step. Groups build, test, redesign, and repeat until they are satisfied or until the class is out of time.
- Ask for items to be donated from hardware stores, or send out a letter to parents asking for some of the materials
- The lesson suggests taking a minimum of two hours, but planning for a full week would be better
- This is fifth in a six-lesson unit on the engineering design process
- Maintain student groups from previous lessons
- Explains the difference between a model and a prototype
- Includes assessment activities