This Designing a Shade Structure lesson plan also includes:
Bring the learning outdoors with an enjoyable activity about Earth's heating, sunlight, and shade. Scholars use problem-solving skills as they design, build, and test a sunshade structure. Participants view a video summarizing the features of an effective sunshade to conclude the activity.
- Have class members participate in a think-pair-share to discuss images
- Assist designers with shelter construction as needed
- Collect supplies and check the weather forecast; requires a sunny day
- Contains guided instructional notes
- Introduces young learners to engineering concepts