This Designing a Spectroscopy Mission lesson plan also includes:
Design a mission over the rainbow. Small groups spend several weeks together determining a mission related to spectroscopy. The teams build spectrographs and analyze the design to determine whether it will carry out the mission. At the end of the project, groups present their findings to the rest of the class.
- Use the activity as a culminating activity that lasts throughout a unit on the electromagnetic spectrum
- Provide one class period per week to allow groups to work together
- Assumes class members know how to use trigonometric ratios to find lengths
- Includes definitions for key vocabulary terms
- Contains an alternative method for finding the diffraction angles