Looking at area with a hole. Using algebraic expressions as dimensions, learners see how to calculate the area of a rectangle that contains a square hole. The instructional video shows how to create a single expression for the area of the rectangle minus the area of the hole.
- Lead a discussion on different ways to find the area of the shaded portion
- Ask classmates to create figures and share with partners to determine the area
- Requires that pupils know how to multiply binomials and combine like terms
- Highlights like terms to show which values to combine
- Shows all the steps in the problem solving process