This Differentiate between Formal and Informal Language lesson plan also includes:
- Lesson Plan
- Join to access all included materials
The Pledge of Allegiance, the Gettysburg Address, the National Anthem, and the Preamble to the Constitution all get close attention in an exercise that asks learners to rewrite these formally-worded documents into informal language. After a modeled think aloud by the instructor, individuals rewrite a document as a note to a friend and then again as a blog post or a text message.
- In addition to highlighting the differences between formal and informal language, the exercise helps to develop reading comprehension skills
- The final reflection asks individuals to consider the strengths and benefits of both formal and informal language
- Some readers may need additional support decoding the documents
- The subject documents, while readily available in text books and on the Internet, are not included nor linked