This Discovering the Pythagorean Theorem lesson plan also includes:
Young mathematicians join the ancient order of the Pythagoreans by completing an assessment task that asks them to find the area of tilted squares on dot paper. They then look at patterns in the squares to develop the Pythagorean Theorem.
28 Views 27 Downloads CCSS: Designed
- Use the resource as an introductory activity to the Pythagorean Theorem
- Lesson can easily be split into two days; see teacher guide for pacing suggestions
- Assessment task uses an unfamiliar notation for the tilt of each square; teachers should explain this notation carefully to learners
- Resource includes printable grid paper to use with the activity
- Teacher guide contains questions to use in class discussions