Develop the fluency of beginning readers one sound at a time with this phonemic awareness lesson. Through a series of whole-class instruction, independent practice, and collaborative learning activities, children practice identifying the phonemes associated with seven different consonants, vowels, and digraphs.
- Use the extension activities as learning centers to perform following the whole group lesson
- Repeat this lesson and collection of learning activities with other phonemes, supplementing different words and pictures
- Offers suggestions for differentiating the lesson to provide learners with extra support
- Includes a cloze exercise that develops children's spelling and vocabulary skills
- Offers a list of six additional activities that extend learning about phonemes
- Worksheet asks students to match letters with pictures that show the mouth position for each sound, but the images aren't clear making the exercise rather difficult
- Consonant and Vowel Discrimination Word Pair picture cards are not included with the lesson, but can be created based on the description in the lesson