This Distance Between Parallel Lines: Lesson video also includes:
Rely on slope when counting won't do. Using horizontal and vertical parallel lines, the presentation shows scholars how to find the distance by counting. The video uses the relationship of the slopes of perpendicular lines to find two point on general parallel lines to use to calculate the distance between them. Part of a larger geometry playlist, the resource shows worked examples to help cement the concept.
- Lead a discussion on why the distance from a point to a line is the length of the perpendicular from the point to the line
- The class should know the relationship of slopes of perpendicular lines
- Individuals should be able to use the Pythagorean Theorem
- Includes a link to other resources
- Uses different colors to highlight the work
- The first example uses the wrong y values